Sunday 29 November 2009

Where did it all begin?



I was thinking in bed last night about where my compulsion to write horror originated from. I cannot think of a time where I have ever wanted to write anything else, nor could I imagine ever wanting, or even knowing how to write anything else. If someone asked me to write a crime novel or even science fiction I honestly wouldn't have a clue where to start, whereas I have a whole list of ideas for more horror novels just waiting for their time to be written. I do remember my first vampire movie and that was The Lost Boys. Being a young teenager at the time I immediately fell in lust with David (Kiefer Sutherland) and wanted to be Star. (I still do love Kiefer, though now in his Jack Bauer role!) I can't remember watching another vampire movie until I saw Interview With The Vampire., which I still absolutely love and I adore all of Anne Rice's novels. It was shortly after seeing Interview that I started writing my first vampire novel and I would have been about fifteen at the time. I still have the five or so chapters of that novel (needless to say, at fifteen I was too distracted by boys to finish it) and it isn't all that bad. The vampire is a woman and it is the man who is the one who is rescued and 'turned'. I still have the images of that novel in my head - you never know, it might even get finished one day!

M. X

2 comments:

  1. We must be long-lost twins! I too lusted after Kiefer and so wished I could be Star (esp. because I have thin blonde hair, and she had all those thick, black curls!). I even bought the book! I wonder if it's still stashed in my mom's house somewhere....

    Have you seen Fright Night? Or Near Dark? Two other great 80's vamp flicks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brillant! I always knew I had one out there somewhere! Seen Near Dark - great movie - but it was forever ago and I've not seen Fright Night. Def think an old movie night is on the horizon...

    ReplyDelete