Thursday, 3 December 2009

Pan's Labyrinth



This movie is fast going up in my list of favourite films. I have just watched it for the second time and it left me even more amazed and inspired then the first time. For anyone who doesn't know the movie it is about a little girl in war torn Spain who has a brutal stepfather and escapes it all into a fantasy world. It is dark, scary, beautiful, and sad. In short - if you ever wanted to make a movie, you would aspire for it to be like this one. When ever I watch or read something like this it leaves me with a strange ache of hope that one day I might come up with something equally as breathtaking. It is subtitled which may put some people off, but if you can see past the subtitles then please give it a go. You won't be disappointed. It is on Film4 on Tuesday at 10.45pm and I know I will be recording it to watch over and over...

3 comments:

  1. I've heard that this is very beautiful and emotional, and consequently I haven't worked up the courage yet to see it (I can put myself into movies and books). Have you read del Toro's vampire novel, The Strain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this film... in fact I love Del Toro's movies full stop... but I love this film because, to me, it is a pure horror film... and not in the fantasy sections but in the civil war/fascist aspects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know he had written any books, Nicole. How exciting! I will def add it to my Xmas list.
    Taliesin - I know what you mean about the horror side of it - it certainly leaves you thinking...

    ReplyDelete