Thursday 17 December 2009

Zombie movies and some thanks…

MV5BMjY0MDgwNTQ4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzQzNjY3MQ@@__V1__SX94_SY140_

I watched ‘Quarantine’ last night - a Blair witch type film about a reporter who gets trapped in a building infected by a 'rabies' type virus. ‘Quarantine’ is essentially a zombie movie and I’ve not always been a fan, though there are some great ones - 28 days later comes to mind. This one started a bit slow and I did wonder where they were going to go with it, but after fifteen minutes or so of very little happening it did pick up. There was a particularly good moment where the videographer bashes one of the zombies to death with the lens of the video camera!

My only problem with this type of ‘Blair-witch’ movie is the improbability that whoever is behind the camera would keep filming, considering the circumstances.  If I was one of the people running around with the guy filming I think I would be yelling at him to put down the sodding camera after about ten minutes or so.

Saying that I've always loved the concept of viruses and parasites controlling animal behaviour - it was one of the topics I studied at university and it was the one I graded the highest in. It sparked so many ideas that I found myself writing notes for story ideas beside my regular lecture notes.  It was like real life invasion of the body snatchers.

Before I sign off for the night I just wanted to say a huge thanks to Shellie over at Layers of Thought who has done a preview of my novel, ‘Alone’ and will be following it up with a review once she’s done reading it. http://www.layersofthought.net/2009/12/ebook-preview-alone-by-marissa-elliot.html

Also thanks to fellow Vamplit author Nicole over at  www.nicole-hadaway.blogspot.com as she is publishing my short story ‘The Visitor’ in parts next week.

M.X

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the movie review, Marissa. I wanted to see Quarantine, if only for the reason that the actress is also in Dexter. Now I'm going to rent it one rainy afternoon. Happy Holidays next week!

    ReplyDelete